Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What's it gonna take....

I am writing this with a heavy heart. I spent the day in Birmingham filming profiles of children waiting to be adopted, like every time we do this, and have for the last 11 years, I always meet great kids & with amazing stories. Today was different.

I have been in a place the last couple of months where I have been trying to be still and listen to God for his guidance and direction. I am in a place I call 'clouded counsel'. I know he is putting pieces together for a bigger picture, but he hasn't revealed it all to me. As a planner with no patience, this is a hard place for me to be. I am learning to relax and listen and not get in the way of his plan, but rather be used to fulfill his plan.

Today as I met great kids, there were several common themes. A lot were older, a lot liked Math! A lot made good grades. None of these traits are typical with the stereotype of a foster child. I met a teen girl that uses Art to express herself. A teen boy who plays the saxophone, and uses his music to escape the reality that is his life in foster care.
But there were heart breaks, A beautiful teenage girl, who makes good grades, but was taken from her family because of sexual abuse, separated from her 4 younger siblings, (they have all been placed) she waits.
Another girl who is in care with her brother and sister. She was a happy child. I was numb when I found out later that she witnessed her mother kill another sibling. Devastating.

So I come back from spending the day with these kids, still in 'clouded counsel', but with a refocused purpose. I have no doubt I am right where God needs me to be, but I have got to do more.

It's not ok these children are living a life in foster care, without knowing what it feels like to be part of a family forever!

Now the challenge of how do I make other people care about these kids?

3 comments:

  1. Lee, what you do is amazing, and as horrible as these children's pasts have been, they have the opportunity to have bright futures. I pray that all of them find the forever families they so deserve.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is using you even when you don't see it! God is also making you into what he wants you to be while you are doing the amazing things you do! You are touching lives all around you that you don't even know or see!
    God Bless You and all those you touch!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete