Thursday, August 12, 2010

In the blink of an eye....

Tomorrow is one of the biggest days in Ella's life, her first day in Kindergarten. She is so excited! We went and got a new lunch box, I have her the cutest dress to wear, just like I did the day we brought her home from the hospital. Where did 5 years go? Everyone with children has warned me 'they grow up so fast'! They sure do! These 5 years have flown by in the blink of an eye!
I remember her first Easter dress, it was purple. her first Halloween costume, she was a pumpkin. The dress she wore at her first birthday party, it was pink gingham & I made it just for her! How can my baby be a Kindergarten girl?!! She may be ready, but I'm sure not!
I can remember so much from Kindergarten, I was in Mrs. Williams class. I wore my Red & navy 'zoom' stripped shirt for my school picture, I was missing one of my front teeth. I remember I had the chicken pox that year, and got better just in time to go to the Thanksgiving Party that we had in Mrs. Brann's room. I also remember how big I thought I was, how independent I wanted to be.......
She is so excited, and I don't want to do anything to spoil her excitement, I mean, being in kindergarten is big stuff! But I know as I drive away tomorrow I will cry just like she did the first time she was hungry, or when she fell and skinned her knee when she was learning to walk. I'll mourn how fast her childhood will pass, but I know I can't dwell or linger...that would be selfish. I must choose to be present in then present, because that will be the best gift I can give to the both of us! (and of course, waterproof mascara!)

1 comment:

  1. I have done it 3 times already, one time left to go & I have a feeling putting #4 in kindergarten is going to be the hardest thus far! (knowing all of my babies are in school is a tough thought) My oldest went into the 9th grade this year,... yet another milestone that was not easy for mom! I have to keep telling myself that we gave them a great foundation and now it is time to let a caring teacher add to that foundation! Its never easy letting them go out into the big world but that is the only way they will grow & learn. My advice is: take plenty of pictures, give plenty of kisses, take plenty of tissue, drop her off and take pride in the fact that you have prepared her well for this big day, come home have a cup of coffee, cry some more, watch the clock waiting for 2:00 to come so you can dash out the door to pick her up, and on the way home listen to her tell the exciting stories of her first day!!

    ReplyDelete